Find a Workshop Near You
purchase this book!
Read "Summary of Major Changes"
TAKE THE ONLINE TEST!
(see the Workshops Page for details)
READ THE BOOK!
Ahead of time, you MUST read the Textbook of Neonatal Resuscitation, 6th Edition 2011, which comes with a CD-ROM. The book is available from AAP/AHA/NRP at the AAP Book Store (click here) or call 888-227-1770. Shipping can take up to three weeks unless expedited.
Chapters 1 through 4 and 9 MUST BE READ before the class. If you need to be tested for medications and intubations, you must also read Chapters 5 & 6.
You do not have to buy the book but you MUST read the book AHEAD of time. You can borrow it from someone else and read it before the class. You can also review the DVD-ROM that comes with the book.
If you have an older edition of the NRP book you can review the "Summary of Major Changes to the Guidelines" document on the newbornbreath website here.
As of January 1, 2012, Karen is only offering one type of class for new and renewing NRP students
- Usually scheduled from 9:00am to 4pm
- Anyone may attend Karen's class; NRP no longer differentiates between new and renewing students.
- As of February 1, 2012, all Class Fee will be $220 for all students (with 3% fee added on when paying via PayPal)
NEW BOOK AND TESTING INFORMATION!
As of January 1, 2012 all AAP/NRP courses will use the 6th Edition Textbook of Neonatal Resuscitation
In order to take any NRP course you will:
- have to secure a location where you will take the class
- before coming to class (within 2 weeks of the class) you MUST take the test online which is called the written evaluation. Once you have passed
- You will need to print out a verificaiton form and bring that verification form to class.
You must take the test before you come to class and bring the verification form to the class or you will not be admitted into the class
The online test costs $23.50 and that goes directly to AAP/NRP
You must read the 6th edition texbook before taking the test (if you want to pass).
You do not have to buy the book but you do need to read it.
The book can be purchased at: Purchase book here
For instructions and information about how to take the test online, click here: www.aap.org/nrp/pdf/NRPexam.pdf
In order to take the test, click here: www.aap.org/nrp/exam/
According to AAP/NRP there will no longer be any difference between taking the class for the first time and those renewing--everyone is the same from here on out.
These classes are specifically designed and taught for out-of-hospital settings, though everything is applicable to any setting where babies are born, including the hospital. The class is suitable for MDs, EMT’s, CNM’s, CM’s, PA’s, CPM’s, DEM’s, RN’s, doulas, childbirth educators, students, apprentices, helpers--and anyone who may be present at a birth.
- Incorporates the Midwifery Model of Care into Neonatal Resuscitation.
- Combines skill requirements with cutting edge information and pre- and peri-natal psychology research.
- Recognizes and supports the conscious and aware newborn during transitions of birth.
- Clarifies Neonatal transitional physiology and the normal transitions of birth.
- Realizes the relationship between physiology, psychology, and the hormones of birth.
- Thoroughly integrates NRP steps into practice within an out-of- hospital setting.
- Expand your knowledge with current evidence-based research.
- Teaches you “Simple Tools” to help you help babies integrate their journey
- Fulfills or renews AAP/AHA NRP course of completion (you get the card).
- Discusses, discovers, challenges and collaborates!
Ahead of time, you MUST read the Textbook of Neonatal Resuscitation 6TH Edition 2011 which comes with a CD-ROM. The book is available from AAP/AHA/NRP here or call 888-227-1770. Shipping can take up to three weeks unless expedited. Chapters 1 through 4 and 9 MUST be read before the class. If you need to be tested for medications and intubations, you must also read Chapters 5 & 6. Karen needs to be informed that you need this portion of the test in order to bring those tests and dolls to the class. Then it is YOUR responsibility to ask Karen at class for that part of the test plus the hands on skill testing before you leave the class.
Please note the 6th edition of the Textbook of Neonatal Resuscitation was published in May 2011.
- KAREN WILL TEACH TO FEEL COMFORTABLE USING YOUR EQUIPMENT!
- KAREN WILL TEACH THE COUNTS IN AN EASY-TO-RECALL MANNER!
- KAREN WILL TEACH YOU HOW TO LEAVE YOUR FEAR BEHIND!
- YOU WILL LOVE THIS CLASS WHEN YOU ARE DONE!
What People Say About Karen's Workshops
I just love the holistic nature of this course. A must for parents, prospective parents, and all birth-care providers. I love the evidence-based nature of everything you presented. I also loved the discussion on child-initiated/led breastfeeding and the physiological benefits! –Participant, Madison, WI
Very good class. It was very succinct, clear, and interesting. Cord info is great, the overview of resuscitation was great, and the practice part was sufficiently long.
This was the first NRP class where I went from terror to a feeling that if/when I have to do [resuscitation], it is to help the baby – and that it might be welcome, not forced.
–Sue Baelen, San Francisco, CA